About the House of Terror
Having survived two terror regimes, it was felt that the time had come for Hungary to erect a fitting memorial to the victims, and at the same time to present a picture of what life was like for Hungarians in those times.
In December 2000 ˝The Public Foundation for the Research of Central and East European History and Society˝ purchased the building with the aim of establishing a museum in order to present these two bloody periods of Hungarian history. Dr. Mária Schmidt is the Director-General of the House of Terror Museum, which was completed in February 2002.
During the year-long construction work, the building on 60 Andrássy Avenue was fully renovated inside and out. The internal design, the final look of the museum´s exhibition and the external facade are the works of architect Attila F. Kovács. The reconstruction plans for the House of Terror Museum were designed by architects János Sándor and Kálmán Újszászy; the contractor was Architecton Share Co. The background music to the exhibition was composed by Ákos Kovács. The work with a timeless scoring for string orchestra in multiple movements goes well with the historical theme of the museum´s exhibition and contains special stereophonic mixes and sound effects.
During the reconstruction, the building has turned into a monument; the black passepartout (the decoration entablature, the blade walls and the granite sidewalk) provides a frame for the Museum, causing it to stand out by its sharp contrast to the other buildings on Andrássy street, and befitting its historic significance, focuses attention on the house itself.
Opened on February 24th, 2002 at 5 pm, the House of Terror Museum - the only one of its kind - is a monument to the memory of those held captive, tortured and killed in this building. The Museum, while presenting the horrors in a tangible way, also intends to make people understand that the sacrifice for freedom was not in vain. Ultimately, the fight against the two cruellest systems of the 20th century ended with the victory of the forces of freedom and independence.
1062 Budapest, Andrássy út 60.
Open every day except Monday: 10.00 am-6.00 pm
No admission fee required for visiting our bookstore.
Full price ticket: 1800 HUF
Discount price tickets: 900 HUF
(for citizens of EU between 6-26 and 62-70 years)
(with international student card between 6-26)
Free admission for:
Disabled visitors and their carers.
Visitors over the age of 70 (for citizens of EU)
Teachers (valid proof required)
Students (for citizens of EU under 26, with international student card under 26) on every first Sunday of the month.
Group admission fees:
1500 HUF/visitor (for groups of min. 20 person)
800 HUF/retired or student visitor (for groups of min. 20 person)
Temporary exhibition ticket price 800 HUF
For our visitors from abroad audioguides are available in English and German languages.
Audio-guide: 1300 HUF
Public transport: Metro line 1 to Vörösmarty utca station or tram 4 or 6 to Oktogon
The Museum is maintained by:
Public Foundation for the Research of Central and East European History and Society
1122 Budapest, Határőr út 35.
Director: Mária Schmidt